Enter The Fantasy

Romance unfettered by time and space. Everyone deserves love. Every love story deserves to be told, regardless of space, time or species. I am attempting to do that just as fast as I can type. I want all those characters clamoring around in my head to shut up! Unfortunately they seem to increase, not decrease, as I write each book.

Monday, August 28, 2006

The Author Who Most Influenced My Writing

I can’t remember when I couldn’t read. I know I wasn’t born reading, but it seems like it. During second grade I stumbled onto a series of books about Space Cat. It was instant love -- of the cat and the concept of science fiction. Then along about the sixth grade a visit to the local library yielded a book called Forever Amber. Wham! I was broadsided by romance! For many years I fed my love of both by alternating between the genres. When I couldn't find stories to my liking, I just created my own. It wasn’t exactly fulfilling, but it beat the alternative -- doing without.
Then, in the late eighties, I picked up a book by Jayne Ann Krentz that completely blew my mind. Sweet Starfire was a scifi book, but it was also a romance. Alleluia! I had found heaven. And if that wasn’t good enough a few months later along came Crystal Flame. My creative juices churned like a jacuzzi on crack, and they haven’t stopped since. All those stilted historicals I had been laboring over (on my ancient typewriter) went into the trash can. I was reborn as what would eventually become known as a writer of paranormal/scifi romance. Now when I sit down to write I draw on those initial feelings of wonder Ms. Krentz’ books inspired. They have led me to create Mercenary Heart, a Mardi Gras Publications release, The Keeper, due out next year from Midnight showcase, and Michael Angelo, an as yet unsold piece about a man who is half angel and half human. In addition I have several novellas due for release within the year and a number of novels under construction, including Mercenary Redemption, the sequal to Mercenary Heart.
When I reflect on my creations, I can only hope they bring the enjoyment to my readers that I experience when I pick up a novel by such authors as Susan Grant, Christine Feehan, Sherrilyn Kenyon or Jayne Ann Krentz, my own personal muse.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:00 PM, Blogger Cara North said…

    You crack me up D. This is a good post and I hope she stops over to see it- oh yeah-I found her blog and posted on it. You can kill me later!

     
  • At 3:08 PM, Blogger Jayne Ann Krentz said…

    Thanks so much! I am thrilled to know that my book had an influence on you as a writer and I wish you and your friend, Cara, the very best with your writing!

    I really do feel that this new hybrid of romance, science fiction, fantasy and suspense is the wave of the future.

    --Best,
    --Jayne

     

Post a Comment

<< Home